Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Session 4 - Coding & Reading

Finished Blocky Coding Level 10.

Read Neil Fraser's article on Coding in Vietnam

Comment about the article

https://code.google.com/p/blockly/


Read.....

Onions in the Varnish

http://www.joeydevilla.com/2001/12/03/4419/


Tell me why there are Onions in the Varnish?

34 comments:

  1. This is good. It talked about how to teach kids about coding and somewhat about Blocky Maze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coding in Vietnam- I've read this article and I've got to say I wish we could learn like that since technology is getting more and more advanced. As well as more involved with modern society. We really need to step up our game.

    Onions in the Varnish- The onions were in the Varnish before to tell the temperature but now is just part of the recipe and that everyone working there now has a onion in the Varnish

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is so cool that the kids get to start computer class in 1st grade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Onions in the varnish- The onions had to do with the laboral work vs the technology that replaced the onion but its still there

    ReplyDelete
  5. The onions represented the labor work, and the varnish is the technician that is still in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post was about Mr. Neil when on a trip to Vietnam and how he helped the Schools and watched what they used for programs for CS. When the kids started they we're in 1st grade and he watched all through the grades and made a game for them called Blocky. By Tummis1919

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is onions in the varnish because it sofens it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr Neil goes to Vietnam and goes to the middle school and high school and makes a video game for the kids. They play it and beat it in one day and they want more levels.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They need it to test to see if the varnish was hot enough.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They need a onion in the varnish to test if its hot enough or if its to cold but then it became a nesity By tummis1919

    ReplyDelete
  11. onions in the varnish is about a scientist trying to test a machine sorta like a fryer . he dropped onions in to see if the fryer was hot enough if it was the onion was hot enough it would fry if it was not they would know

    poppyseed1919

    ReplyDelete
  12. The coding in Vietnam was an amazing article about Kids in Vietnam learning computers and coding. But because of budget issues it was difficult. Everything had to be scanned to CD's because they could not afford the best internet. Computer class started at grade 2 but half of the school could not learn about computers. Amazing Article!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Article about the vietnam kids is amazing they are way smatter than we are in coding. For the onion in the varnish i didn't know about the onion in the varnish and it is a weird add on to the varnish to test its tem. Going old school

    ReplyDelete
  14. the onion lets them know if the mixture is hot enough cause it will fry the onion. Seance they did that the onion is now a part of the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  15. the coding in Vietnam was about kids who wanted to learn tec. like the u.s.a about coding . everything had to be put on c.d 's but they could not learn anything because they did not have any computers so the USA gave them a grant to learn about computer code .


    poppyseed1919

    ReplyDelete
  16. I find it amazing how kids in vietnam get to use probably the best windows program there is.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The onion in the varnish is about Primo Levi making a varnish and it needed raw onion. He did not understand why but after a little research he figure out why. The raw onion was throw into the varnish to test the temperature.-Bluemoon1919

    ReplyDelete
  18. The article was very good. It was about Neil Fraser who went to Vietnam to schools to see how things worked there....fieldhockeygirl1919

    ReplyDelete
  19. This article was pretty interesting. I thought that it was interesting how Neil went to Vietnam to see how computer science was taught over there......Footballlover1919

    ReplyDelete
  20. Coding in Vietnam, I found it quite interesting about kids in Vietnam doing coding.
    There are Onions in the Varnish because it was an inexpensive way of testing the temperature for the varnish. If the onion fried, it was too hot.
    - SilverPaw1920

    ReplyDelete
  21. This article talked about people across the world getting chances to learn the new growing language of the internet. There were picture of the Vietnam kids doing google programing and other cool things! I wish I had the talent with computers that they have!

    -Galloper1917

    ReplyDelete
  22. In these articles, they are about coding, how each grade learned coding. Like grade 1, 2, 3....
    In the other article it is about a chemist discovery.

    ReplyDelete
  23. lococamo1920 : I liked the Vietnamese artical. It tought me quit a few things.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just finished the article on the Vietnamese children, and what I see is that it's extremely unfair that we have all of this great technology right at our fingertips, and they still have the huge desktop computers that a majority of families got rid of in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  25. i read about a person who went to Vietnam and taught kids about computers and he said they mostly taught him to. He made blocky codeing and he said he would teach him and that is when they taught me
    by:limegreen

    ReplyDelete
  26. i just read onions in the varnish and onions and varnish and it is some sort of food that was accidentally created and became a real food i thought that was cool
    by:limegreen

    ReplyDelete
  27. lococamo1920 : the onions in the varnish article was very interesting. especially when I learned that onions were mixed with chemicles.

    ReplyDelete
  28. dragoneyes1919: I think Neil Fraser: News: CS in VN is a very interesting article. I thought it was unbelievable that kids in the 5th grade was writing procedures containing loops.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Greenrock1919-
    I think Neil Fraser's article was very descriptive and partly funny! When it said how the teachers were not teaching CS but teaching how to make websites not CS. I also think that its amazing how they were teaching second graders how to use computers and how to take care of 5.25" floppy disks.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think that it was wierd that they used onions in the varnish to tell if it was the right temperature

    mudpuppy1919

    ReplyDelete
  31. i really think that we should have these classes it seems to improve intelligence and i think it would be good for us. even though they would rather have math class than cs i think that cs would improve math skills. it would most likely improve the understanding of numbers, which might benefit in their learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  32. its interesting how a onion was needed to make varnish. and its cool how that the tell the temperature by putting an onion in it to tell if it was hot or not.....Footballlover1919

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just read the Onions in the Varnish, and it was kind of sort of confusing-ish. So I feel as though I can't properly comment on this intelligently.

    ReplyDelete
  34. dragoneyes1919:onions in the varnish: I thought it was neat how they put onions in their to tell the temp.

    ReplyDelete